Guidelines on Sponsorship of Refugees out of Turkey
September 2015 – This guidance has been developed to assist private sponsors in identifying cases for resettlement from Turkey. It is intended to increase the likelihood of the refugees being granted exit clearance by the Government of Turkey, and to ensure that applicants are ready to travel to Canada as soon as possible once a positive decision has been made on their application for resettlement.
While the Government of Canada cannot guarantee that exit permission will be granted by the Government of Turkey, ensuring that sponsored refugees have formally registered with the Turkish authorities will significantly increase the chances of the refugees being authorized to exit the country. Failing to consider this criterion can lead to sponsored refugees approved by CIC not receiving the necessary exit permits from the Government of Turkey for resettlement to Canada.
In order to increase the chances of being granted exit permission from Turkey, sponsored refugees should be registered with local Turkish authorities as demonstrated by having a valid one of the following documents:
- Residence permit (Ikamet) in the form of an Ikamet Izni or Ikamet Tezkeresi;
- Temporary residence document such as visa or work permit (does not include electronic visas);
- Yabanci Tanitma Belgesi (Foreigner ID Document) or Yabanci Tanitim Karti (Foreigner ID Card);
- Sığınma başvuru sahibi tanıtım kartı (Foreigner Registration Card);
- Uluslararası Koruma Başvuru Sahibi Kimlik Belgesi (Identification Card for International Protection Applicant);
- Uluslararası Koruma Başvuru Sahibi Kayit Belgesi (Registration Card for International Protection Status Holder);
- Uluslararası Koruma Statüsü Sahibi Kimlik Belgesi (Identification Card for International Protection Status Holder); or
- Gecici Koruma Kimlit Belgesi (Temporary Protection ID).
If you have any questions about these guidelines, please contact us.