- You have picked a reliable person fro your group as the main contact person with CIC
- You have checked the box for ‘Group of Five’ at the top
- You have provided a current email address – CIC will use this email address to communicate with you so make sure someone checks it regularly!
- Section D: each group member answers whether they have signed a previous sponsorship or not: check YES if you have, and attach a separate sheet of paper with all the information (see instruction guide). This is very important – application will be returned if you skip this question or indicate ‘no’ when in reality you had participated in a sponsorship before.
- (section E) ALL of the applicant’s family members (i.e.: spouse, children, other dependants) are listed even if they are NOT coming with the family to Canada or their whereabouts are unknown
- (section E) the check box for ‘accompanying’ or ‘non-accompanying’ is selected for each family member
- Section G is completed IF you are also submitting applications for other people who are not immediate family members but should be resettled together
- Section H is completed even if the same relatives have already been mentioned as group members before
- that spelling the refugees’ names are exactly as on other forms!
- all the fields have been filled out
- everyone has signed and dated - original signatures required!
Generic Application (IMM8000)
- Make sure you help the refugee with filling out this form!
- Section ‘Application Details’ – that refugee has picked ‘Refugee’ for question #1 and ‘outside Canada’ for question #2
- for question #4 check which Canadian visa office is responsible for processing permanent residence applications (look up by country of asylum)
- province and city of where your group is has been selected for #6
- skip question #7 (unless going to Quebec)
- if refugee wants to indicate a ‘current’ or ‘present date’, enter the date of signature
- make sure contact information is complete and current
- use ‘Additional dependants’ form if principal refugee applicant has more than 5 dependants
- the refugee applicant’s name is spelled the same on ALL the forms
- it has been validated and that a print out of the bar code with signatures has been included
- the refugee applicant has signed all required forms (original signatures!)
- Principal refugee applicant, spouse (or common-law partner), and children aged 18 and over must EACH complete a copy – even if not accompanying to Canada!
- Make sure the dates and activities in section 7 match those in sections 8 – 12 (pay attention to cities, addresses and activities) - do not leave any gaps in your history!
- Principal refugee applicant, spouse (or common-law partner), and children aged 18 and over must EACH complete a copy
- Since being sponsored through a Group of Five, should check box beside ‘identified for private sponsorship by a Canadian group’!
- Skip part C if you are the principal refugee applicants or an accompanying family member
- For questions 3 – 7, the refugee should be providing a very clear and detailed account – avoid generalizations and vague answers!
- For question 10, list any skills and personal qualities to illustrate your adaptability to a new situation, resourcefulness, initiative and motivation
- For question12, be truthful – the amount of money you have or don’t have does not determine your case.
- Make sure part D is properly signed, checked and dated
5 Sponsor Assessment forms (IMM5492) have been included
Financial profiles (IMM5373B) have been included for each group member who will provide financial support (minimum of 3 people!)
- Each member’s annual income after subtracting taxes, the amount required to support self and dependants and the financial contribution being pledged (towards the sponsorship) is above the Low-Income Cut Off line
- recent proof of income documents are submitted for group member who will provide financial support (no older than 12 months!)
Settlement Plan (IMM5373A)
- provide the same group email address as on the IMM5373
- section B: make sure the total monetary support and in-kind donations is not less than the amount required according to the Sponsorship Cost table (see instructions guide)
- Section C: designate more than 1 person from your group for each settlement task; provide details for each task including a back-up plan; provide detailed availability – avoid being vague!
- Section D: make sure that the figures are the same as listed in the financial profiles and that it equals the amount listed in Section B
The Document checklist is filled out and included
All supplementary and supporting documents have been included (check Appendix A)
No signatures are missing
Mail ALL of the forms and supporting documents together to the Centralized Processing Office in Winnipeg