Find out if you can be a member of a Group of Five and/or whether your group can sponsor refugees…
To be eligible to sponsor as a Group of Five, you need 5 people. Each member of the group must:
- be 18 years of age or older,
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident,
- reside in the community where the refugee will live, and
- make a commitment to support the refugee financially and with settlement support for the duration of the sponsorship period (usually 12 months from the time of their arrival in Canada).
Some people cannot participate in a Group of Five sponsorship. Persons are ineligible to sponsor refugees as a Group of Five if they:
- have been convicted inside or outside Canada of a serious criminal offence as set out in Schedule I or II of the Corrections and Conditional Release Act, if a period of five years has not elapsed since completion of the sentence; or
- are in default of any court-ordered support payments (i.e. child support or a previous sponsorship); or
- are subject to a removal order; or
- are subject to a revocation proceeding under the Citizenship Act; or
- are detained in any penitentiary, jail, reformatory or prison.