All Application Forms FAQ


1. Which forms do we have to complete?

All the forms that have to be completed for a refugee sponsorship can be found here. Review our application forms page for more information and contact us if you have any questions.

2. CIC released new application forms in October 2012. What has changed? Is anything new?

The following changes were made:

  1. There is one undertaking application form for all sponsoring groups – SAHs, Community Sponsors and Groups of Five. Sponsoring groups are expected to complete the relevant section of the undertaking form.
  2. Sponsoring groups must use option 3 from now on. They are expected to submit the IMM 0008 forms with the sponsor forms to the CPO-W (i.e.: at the same time). They cannot use option 1 or 2 any more. Applications that do not include the completed IMM0008 forms and supporting documents will be returned by the CPO-W office for being incomplete.
  3. Groups of Five and Community Sponsors can only sponsor refugees recognized by the UNHCR or the state where the refugees reside. However, this is not a requirement for applications that are submitted by SAHs.
  4. There is an updated document checklist and sponsors must use it to verify the completeness of their application

The following is new:

  1. There is a new form called Consent to Disclose and Collect Personal Information, which is expected to be completed and signed by both the sponsoring group and the refugee applicant. By signing the consent form, each party authorizes the CPO-W to return incomplete application to or share information about the application with the other party.
  2. The CPO-W office will review both the sponsor and IMM 0008 forms for their completeness. It could return an application that does not include both forms and supporting documents. For instance, for groups of five and community sponsors, the application could be returned if it does not include the UNHCR refugee status or state recognition document.

3. Is the use of the new Undertaking forms (released October 2012) effective immediately?

While CIC encourages the use of the new forms, there is a grace period for using the old forms until June 30, 2013. After this date, only new forms will be accepted.

4. Can the completed and signed forms be emailed to the sponsors?

If you want the sponsors to review the forms that you need to complete (IMM6000 package), you may email it to them. However, your sponsors will need to receive a paper copy of your forms with your original signature and date in order to submit the application. Print-outs or photocopies of the signatures are not accepted.

5. Two of our cases moved from Syria to Jordan, and two moved from Syria to Lebanon. Are new applications required now by CIC?

As with other cases where the applicants flee to other countries, sponsors are expected to notify and provide updated contact information to CIC so that the file can be transferred. However, the prospect of another durable solution (i.e.: local integration in the new country of asylum) will need to be re-assessed and may affect the resettlement of the applicant. According to CIC: “Typically, applicants who moved on from Syria to Jordan or Lebanon would have their applications transferred and would not be required to submit a new one, although this needs to be assessed on a case-by-case basis. In no circumstances would we recommend movement to another country as an option for expediting the processing of an immigration application.”

6. Do we have to submit the Document Checklist?

Yes. There has been a new addition to the family we want to sponsor. How do we add the baby so that he/she is included in the sponsorship? You will need to report any change in family composition including the addition of a new dependant to CIC. You do this by completing a Status Update Request form and emailing it to the CPO-W. They may ask you to complete an Add Dependant form afterwards. If you require the Status Update Request form, please contact us.

7. Where do we submit the forms?

Mail all of the completed and signed refugee sponsorship applications forms along with supporting documents to:

Centralized Processing Office – Winnipeg (CPO-W)
269 Main Street, Suite 400
Winnipeg, MB
R3C 1B2


Undertaking/Application to Sponsor

1. Regarding the question about visa office overseas – are we free to choose the visa office?

No. You should check the CIC website to find out which visa post is responsible for a particular country.

2. The principal applicant just found out the whereabouts of her family members that were missing. They are in an IDP camp in their country of origin. Do we put in the Undertaking for the refugee and their family now, or do we just sponsor the principal applicant and indicate the rest of the family as un-accompanying?

Now that you know the whereabouts of the remaining family members, it is prudent to include them in the sponsorship application. Even if they are not coming with the principal applicant, you need to be able to sponsor them because you are expected to sponsor all family members. If you are a SAH, make sure you have the required extra allocation spots.

3. Members of Groups of Five and Co-Sponsors must indicate in sections D and C respectively where they were involved in previous refugee sponsorships. Do I list the ones I am currently involved in? Do I have to list the ones that have already ended? How far back do I go?

The CPO-W expects you to list the information of all refugee sponsorships that you were ever involved with, whether they have concluded or not, as a group of five member or co-sponsor.

4. What if I cannot remember all of the previous sponsorships I was involved with? Is there a way you can help me find out?

A (from CPO-W): It is your responsibility to know through your files, etc. Ideally, would like name of sponsored person, their date of birth, file# and when they were sponsored. If you don’t know/cannot find out, state as much as you do know. Stating something is better than indicating “no” when there have been previous undertakings.


IMM 008 Generic Application Form (completed by refugee applicant)

1. What is the purpose of the new IMM 0008 generic form?

According to the CIC, the main purpose for the new forms was to integrate applications forms across all permanent residence lines of business. All categories of PR applications are now consistent, and the same form is used for both in-Canada and overseas applicants. The validate button is only to be used if submitting the application electronically and is a prompt to ensure that the applicant fills in all the relevant questions and avoid delays in processing. For example if you fill out the form (IMM008 generic), then at the end, you click “validate”. The only thing that function does is to let you know whether you have completed all the required fields. If you don’t, then after you click “validate” you would get a note suggesting which fields have not been filled out. The key for sponsors is to save the info on the form should they want to make changes to it afterwards.

2. Do we HAVE to use the new forms?

Yes. The grace period which allowed previous versions of the forms to be submitted ended on March 31, 2012.

3. For refugee applicants who do not have access to computer how can they complete them? Are handwritten forms accepted?

According to the CIC, then they have to complete the form manually and send the info to their sponsor. They should follow the instructions in the application guide. The CPO-W will accept handwritten forms as long as they are duly completed and signed.

4. What does the ‘Validate’ button do?

The ‘validate’ button must be used when all information that has been entered is final. That is, when you have completed the form and would like to print it out in order to sign it and mail it in, click on ‘validate’. If you have missed any required fields, you will be informed that you must fill them out before you can validate and submit the form. Required fields will have a red border around them. Once validated, a barcode will be created automatically which contains all of the information you have entered into the form. Validating the form does not mean that CIC will receive the data automatically. Once received by CPO-W, the barcode will be scanned to allow for easier data entry into CIC’s data system.

5. Why the barcodes?

Data entry is facilitated into the new Global Case Management System (GCMS) by incorporating barcodes which will be generated when applicants complete their form electronically. The barcodes will only appear on the IMM 0008 application form once all required information has been correctly completed and the “Validate” button (located at the top and bottom of the application form) has been pressed. The barcodes, which will print on the last two pages of the form, will contain all of the data entered by the applicant, and may be scanned for direct upload into GCMS. With the increased amount of data collected by GCMS, this feature will be very important to assist offices inputting data. CIC continues to examine ways to further facilitate data entry to ensure that the information requested from clients will be available for case processing without having to enter it manually.

6. Is it possible to save changes when completing application forms in the IMM6000 application kit?

Yes, with the new version – Adobe Reader XI (11.0) or higher, it is now possible to save changes when completing electronically the following forms: Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008] Additional Dependants/Declaration [IMM 0008DEP] Schedule A – Background/Declaration [IMM 5669] Schedule 2 Refugees Outside Canada [IMM 0008 SCHEDULE 2]. Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] To learn more about Adobe Reader and to download the free Adobe Reader XI (11.0), click here.

7. Can we make changes to the forms once we have submitted it, if there are mistakes? If so, how would we go about doing that?

Yes, changes can be made to the form. The form can be saved until it is completed correctly and then validated. This allows for sponsors to help applicants in the process by reviewing and making corrections where necessary. In other words, a partially completed application form can now be saved and worked on at a later time electronically. If the form was not saved and mistakes were detected after the application form was already printed off with a bar code, a new application form can be completed. CIC will not need to be notified as the application was not submitted. If mistakes were detected after the application including the bar code were already sent to CIC, then a new application should be completed and printed off. A copy of the previously submitted application and a note stating that the application is no longer valid/should be disregarded and that the new application should be used as the correct one should be included.

8. Would changing the information on the form affect the credibility of the applicant?

No, it would not affect the credibility.

9. Where it says that all dependants are expected to fill out and sign the application, does it include children of all ages, even infants?

Similar to the old form, the principal applicant is expected to fill out the personal information of all his/her dependants whether they are accompanying or not. For each dependant (up to 5 dependants), the applicant is to click on the ‘add dependant’ on the form. If the applicant has more than five (5) dependants, then the Additional Dependant/Declaration Form is to be used for each of the additional dependants. Also note that the Additional Dependent/ Declaration Form is to be completed and signed by the principal applicant – not by the dependants.

10. For people undergoing gender reassignment or who are transgender, what should they write when asked to disclose their gender (‘sex’) in the Personal Details section (question 4)?

The applicant should indicate the same information that is included in their passport.

11. Often UNHCR documents have incorrect birthdates or incorrect spelling of names that happened during mass registrations. Any advice on how to correct that?

The corrections need to be taken up with UNHCR overseas. It is important that the identification documents that are being used match the spelling and date of birth information on the application forms.

12. What if the name is misspelled on the UNHCR document, should the applicant use the misspelled version or the correct version that is used in the person’s ID docs (e.g. birth certificate)?

(from CPO-W): The ideal situation is when the principal applicant is able to give a spelling of the name the same way it is stated on the applicant’s travel document. However, if the applicant does not have a travel document, then what’s important is that the name in the generic application matches the name provided in the undertaking to sponsor. If supporting documents indicate a different spelling then that should be mentioned in Q.2 (other names used).

13. Question #10 asks the refugee applicant’s status in the current country of residence. In the drop-down menu, among other options, there is ‘protected person’ and ‘refugee claimant’. What is the difference between the two?

These terms may be used differently in many countries and could imply different things, or may not be used at all. In Canada, the term ‘protected person’ is defined in the IRPA (Article 95, paragraph 2) as “a person on whom refugee protection is conferred under subsection (2), and whose claim or application has not subsequently been deemed to be rejected under subsection 108(3), 109(3) or 114(4).” In the context of the Generic IMM 0008 form, ‘protected person’ means someone who is recognized as a refugee by UNHCR or a state where he or she resides while ‘refugee claimant’ refers to someone who is seeking asylum in a country other than their country of origin and may be undergoing a refugee status determination process in that country. For instance, Eritrean refugees in Sudan are given identity cards issued by the Sudanese authorities. This card uses the term ‘refugee’ as the status of an applicant. However, this does not mean the applicant has undergone a refugee status determination and is recognized by the authorities of the country as a refugee. In some cases, Congolese refugees in South Africa have an ‘asylum seekers permit’ and some Rwandese refugees have ‘Convention Refugee Status.’ In accordance with the Generic Form, the first group can be called refugee claimants while the latter can be considered to have ‘protected person’ status.

14. Where should the applicant put his/her photo?

We suggest that applicants put their photos in an envelope, after writing their names, colour of the eyes and heights at the back of their photos, and staple it to the forms. We would leave it to CIC to figure out where they want to put the photos.

15. How should the applicant treat the question related to ‘type’ of dependant?

Asking for type of dependant is new. The applicant must identify here, whether his/her dependant falls under type A, B or C. The description of each type is given out in the instruction guide as follows:

  • Type A – The child is under the age of 19 and is single (not married and not in a common-law relationship).
  • Type B – The child has been continuously enrolled in and in attendance as a full time student at a post-secondary institution accredited by the relevant government authority and has depended substantially on the financial support of a parent either:
    • Since before the age of 19, or
    • Since marrying or entering into a common-law relationship (if it happened before the age of 19).
  • Type C -The child is 19 years of age or older, has depended substantially on the financial support of a parent since before the age of 19, and is unable to provide for himself or herself because of a medical condition.

If none of these categories apply to the child of the applicant, then the child is not considered a dependant child (for example, is over 19 years of age but is not enrolled in a post-secondary institution and does not have a medical condition).

16. What if the children do not accompany their parent(s) and are still in their country of origins?

The process of declaring non accompanying dependants remains the same. The principal applicant is expected to provide complete personal information of all his/her dependants including those who are in their country of origin. As you know, failing to do so may result in exclusion of those family members who are not mentioned in the form. What is new on this form is that question 11 asks for the reason of why a family member is not accompanying.

17. Where a spouse and minor children have never left their country of birth, do they have to complete the ‘from/to’ for question 13 of the Generic IMM 0008 Form?

Even though they have not left their country of origin, they should complete question 13. They will have to select their country of residence from the drop down menu. They will also have to identify their status there (e.g. citizen or permanent resident). The ‘from’ and ‘to’ item requests information about the duration of their stay. They will have to give dates of their stay presumably from date of birth up to now (the date when the application will be signed). This will be similar to what one will do in completing schedule A where it asks for the personal history and addresses since the 18th birthday (items 8 and 12, respectively).

18. We would like to submit an undertaking for a refugee in detention, but are unable to get his IMM0008 forms completed by him. What do we do?

Submitting a sponsorship application for a refugee who is in detention is generally challenging for both visa officers and sponsors. Often visa officers and UNHCR staff find it difficult to get access to refugees who are detained in the country of asylum. Because of limited access, it may also be difficult to assemble the required applications forms, i.e. to get the refugee to complete and sign the forms, to take photos and to obtain and provide supporting documents. Given that all sponsors will be required to submit application forms through. You will need to explain in writing (e.g.: cover letter) why you cannot submit part of the required application forms or original signatures and request that an exemption be made based on Humanitarian and Compassion Grounds. Your letter should clearly explain: the circumstances that prohibit you from doing so; your attempts to comply with the requirements of the law and the outcome(s); the dire situation of the refugee whom you are intending to sponsor; the special protection needs of women and children, if applicable, and any other compelling reasons.


Schedule A

1. When applicants do their military service, do they report it under Schedule A, Q. 15? For some reason this applicant has written ‘none’.

Yes, indeed. All applicants are supposed to mention their military services in Q 15. Unfortunately, many applicants are ill-advised to hide their military histories and are told that Canada does not accept people who have done military services or participated in a combat. As a result they may state “none” in the application form. This is not the case. Applicants are expected to be forthcoming and disclose their military story to determine admissibility. Withholding such information may raise concerns about credibility and could lead to a negative decision. The applicant may need to be assured that serving in a military by does not make one inadmissible per se.


Settlement Plan

1. We plan to sponsor two adults who are siblings and link their applications. When they come to Canada, they will be living together. Do we need to submit separate Settlement Plans?

Yes. We have been advised that the CPO-W expects to receive one Settlement Plan per application. In this case, you will need to submit 2 settlement plans.