Frequently asked questions
Groups of Five
- Who can be a member of a Group of Five?
- Do Group of Five members have to provide any money upfront to the Government of Canada?
- Can I participate in more than 1 sponsorship?
- Who can be sponsored?
- Does the refugee applicant need to be registered with the UN?
- The conditions in my country are very bad – can we be sponsored to Canada?
- What is admissibility?
- The refugee applicant was in the military – is this a problem?
- If the refugee applicant has a medical condition, will he/she be rejected?
- Which forms do sponsors have to complete?
- Do sponsors have to submit the Document Checklist?
- Where do sponsors submit the forms?
- What is ‘ROC-O?
- What does ROC-O do?
- How long does it take to process a refugee sponsorship application?
- How long will it take to process the sponsorship application?
- If the refugees are recognized by the UNHCR, do they still need to have an interview with a Canadian Visa Officer?
- The refugee applicant does not speak English or French – will there be interpreters at the interview with the Canadian Visa Officer?